Welcome to Year One
Welcome to the Year One page. Our class bears Fluffy and Rosie would like to welcome you too!
Here we aim to share useful information that you can refer back to, we also want to celebrate and share the children’s learning with you.
What is happening and when?
- Our PE days are Monday and Wednesday. Your child should come to school dressed in their PE kits on these days.
- Spellings are uploaded to SeeSaw every Sunday evening and will be tested on Fridays.
- A half-term overview of spellings can be found in the back of your child’s reading record.
- Maths homework will be uploaded every Friday and is due the following Friday (by uploading to SeeSaw).
- Please ensure your child brings their reading record to school every day where we will change it if they have finished it home.
Please send any enquiries to email@example.com or contact us directly on SeeSaw.
Mrs Sholi and Miss Ackroyd
World Book Day
Year 1 loved dressing up on world book day!
Year One Spellings
Year One Statutory Spellings
Below are the Year One statutory spellings. These are covered through the weekly spelling tests but any additional practise will help the children become confident with the Year One spellings. Repitition and application is key when it comes to children remembering thier spellings. Thank you for your ongoing support with this.
Our Learning in Year One
Half Termly Curriculum Overviews
Please click the link below to see our half termly curriculum overviews:
Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PSHE) Education
We read the book ‘Ruby’s Worry’ and talked about how our worries make us feel and what we can do to help ourselves and others, we then made our very own worry monsters.
In Geography we learnt about ‘The Weather’. The children will be learnt how to:
- Order the months of the year and recognise the different seasons.
- Recognise the differences between the seasons.
- Describe the features of different weathers.
- Discuss how the length of a day varies from season to season.
- Identify how different aspects of the weather affect my local environment.
- Identify the types of clothing worn in different weathers.
- Use measuring devices to record the weather.
- How weather can affect different jobs.
The children were great at ordering pictures to match the seasons!
Using Numicon to partition
We use Numicon in Year One as an aid to teaching maths. Numicon helps the children to see connections between numbers. It is a multi-sensory way of learning, which means the children can learn by seeing and feeling. The holes in the Numicon shapes represent the numbers 1 to 10. When they are arranged in order the children can easily see connections between numbers, such as ‘one more’ or ‘one less’. This half term we are using Numicon to understand how to partition into tens and ones and we are using it to add 2 numbers together.
Place Value - numbers to 100
By the end of Year One, children need to be able to count forward and backwards across numbers to 100. We use a range of practical strategies to teach this to the children, whilst ensuring they receive ample opportunities to practise their number formation.
Year 1 really enjoyed gymnastics in Autumn 2. They have learnt how to perform different types of balances, jumps and rolls. They learnt how to be safe on large equipment and challenged themselves to climb to the top!