Welcome to Year One
Welcome to the Year One page. Here we aim to share useful information that you can refer back to, we also want to celebrate and share the children’s learning with you.
- Our PE days are Monday and Wednesday.
- Spellings are uploaded to SeeSaw every Monday and will be tested on Fridays.
- Maths homework will be uploaded every Friday and is due the following Friday (by uploading to SeeSaw).
- Please ensure your child brings their reading record to school every day where we will change it if they have finished it home.
Mrs Sholi and Miss Ackroyd
Here are a list of some of the websites that you can use whilst in Year One.
In Year One we use Seesaw as our virtual classroom. Please click here for a link to the site. If you have any difficulty logging on please e-mail the office at email@example.com and we will generate a new login code.
Half Termly Curriculum Overviews
Please click the link below to see our half termly curriculum overviews:
Year One Spellings
Year One Statutory Spellings
Below are the Year One statutory spellings. These are covered through the weekly spelling tests but any additional practise will help the children become confident with the Year One spellings. Repitition and application is key when it comes to children remembering thier spellings. Thank you for your ongoing support with this.
Our Learning in Year One
PE - Throwing and Catching
The children are now applying the ball skills they learnt in Autumn One into team games. They are learning to:
- Take turns
- Listen to instructions
- Follow the rules of simple games
- Work together as a team to either win against others or set a team ‘personal best’
This half term, Year 1 have really enjoyed using the laptops to log onto purple mash and complete mazes using algorithms as well as setting their own mazes for others to complete.
Maths - Money
Year one have been learning to recognise the different coins up to £2. They particularly enjoyed playing ‘shops’ and buying things with the plastic money.
Our Geography topic this half term is ‘The Weather’. The children will be learning how to:
- Order the months of the year and recognise the different seasons.
- Recognise the differences between the seasons.
- Describe the features of different weathers.
- Discuss how the length of a day varies from season to season.
- Identify how different aspects of the weather affect my local environment.
- Identify the types of clothing worn in different weathers.
- Use measuring devices to record the weather.
- How weather can affect different jobs.
We really enjoyed practising our field skills by going on a ‘Seasons scavenger hunt’. We decided it must be Autumn due to the clues we found.
Using Numicon to partition
We use Numicon in Year One as an aid to teaching maths. Numicon helps the children to see connections between numbers. It is a multi-sensory way of learning, which means the children can learn by seeing and feeling. The holes in the Numicon shapes represent the numbers 1 to 10. When they are arranged in order the children can easily see connections between numbers, such as ‘one more’ or ‘one less’. This half term we are using Numicon to understand how to partition into tens and ones and we are using it to add 2 numbers together.